Cookbook Review - Sauteed Mushrooms with Thyme



My whole life I've been obsessed with mushrooms.  Growing up we only ate canned mushrooms, but I remember having a serious zeal for them.  I'd be in the kitchen helping my Dad cook supper and slipping my skinny little kid fingers into the open mushroom can to snatch another bite of them.

I've long since graduated from the canned variety to fresh mushrooms, which are light years better.  I especially love them when they are buttery and juicy in the middle with crispy edges on the outside, and these mushrooms are just that.  With a light lemon-herb note from the thyme, these are a great side dish option to add to your repertoire.


Recipe from Everyday Food: Great Food Fast
_________________________________________________________________________________


Serves 4 as a side dish


2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small shallot, minced
1 1/2 lbs white mushrooms, halved
Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
1/4 cup dry red wine or white wine (or water)

In a skillet over medium low heat, melt the butter with the oil. Add the shallot and cook, stirring until soft for about 5 minutes. Raise the heat to medium. Add the mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Cook covered, until the mushrooms release their liquid about 5-6 minutes.

Uncover and raise the heat to high. Cook, tossing until the liquid evaporates and the mushrooms are brown, 3-5 minutes. Add the thyme and wine. Cook until the skillet is almost dry. Serve hot.

Click here for printable version of Sauteed Mushrooms with Thyme
_________________________________________________________________________________

RESULTS?
I loved these babies.  My friend Bree recommended that this be one of the recipes that I tried from Everyday Food: Great Food Fast and I'm so glad I listened to her (but to be honest it really didn't take any convincing).  When I first made these I was reminded that mushrooms can indeed be a side dish and makes an excellent companion to beef or chicken dishes.

Meal Ideas: