Crispy Roasted Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) with Moroccan Spices

Roasted ChickpeasIf you were hanging around this blog during November, you may recall me raving about the Moroccan Spice Mix recipe I found in Fine Cooking Magazine. I tried the mixture on butternut squash, then on carrots, absolutely loved it, and promised more Moroccan spice roasted veggies to come. Recently when I saw a recipe for crispy roasted chickpeas in The South Beach Diet Cookbook my tastebuds started imagining how great those crispy chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) would taste with just a hint of that Moroccan spice mix, and that's how this recipe was born.

These chickpeas are delicious just like you see them in the photo, but for a lower-carb party appetizer I love to make these and mix the hot chickpeas with an equal amount of nuts.  That's a combination that will disappear pretty quickly on the buffet table.  (The chickpeas are best the day you make them, so if you're only making them for a few people do half the can and freeze the rest of the chickpeas.)

Click to continue reading