Bacon-Braised Brussels Sprouts

Okay, confession time. Before making this dish.....I had never eaten a Brussel sprout. Really. Never. When I was planning my Thanksgiving meal, I took my own advice and noticed they were in season and on sale for cheap. I asked my husband if he had ever tried them, and to my surprise his answer was "Yep. I really like 'em."

WHA?!

In 4 years of being together I never knew he liked Brussels sprouts. Anyways, I thought they were worth giving a try. I found this recipe from the Barefoot Contessa and she's so fabulous I didn't think she could go wrong.

I also figured how could anything with bacon go wrong?

*Recipe from Ina Garten
________________________________________

Serves 6


2 tbsp olive oil
6 ounces Italian pancetta or bacon, 1/4-inch dice
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in 1/2
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup golden raisins (I skipped out on these)
1 3/4 cups chicken stock

Heat the olive oil in a large (12-inch) saute pan and add the bacon. Saute the bacon over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes until browned and crisp. Remove to a plate lined with paper towel.

To the pan with the bacon fat, add the Brussels sprouts, salt and pepper and saute until just slightly browned. Add the raisins and chicken stock. Lower the heat and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are tender when pierced with a knife about 15 minutes. If the skillet becomes too dry, add a little chicken stock or water. Return the bacon to the pan, heat through, season to taste, and serve. I still had tons of liquid in my pan so I had to scoop the Brussels sprouts out with a slotted spoon.
_________________________________________

THE RESULTS?

Not bad. Brussels sprouts are probably an acquired taste. While I didn't dislike them, I also didn't think they were that great. Probably wasn't the greatest idea serving them along side the Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Pecan and Marshmallow Streusel...every time I took a bite of the super sweetness of the sweet potatoes, I was all the more aware of the bitterness of the Brussels sprouts. Although, to be fair, it was my first time eating them and my hubby who really likes Brussels sprouts thought they were good.

Although he did say that he preferred them just steamed with a little butter.

Go figure.