Summer Means Basil Vinaigrette, and Other Things I'm Thinking (6-3-14)

Summer Means Basil Vinaigrette and Grilled Halibut with Basil Vinaigrette
Grilled Halibut with Basil Vinaigrette, and it must be summer because I already have Basil Vinaigrette in the fridge!

It's feeling like summer, and recently I wanted to make some Basil Vinaigrette, which made me realize how much I'm seriously missing the garden from my old house.  Last year I tried growing a few vegetables and herbs on the deck and in the kitchen window, but even though they started out well, the plants on the deck didn't produce much and keeping herbs watered in a sunny kitchen window turned out to be a challenge.  So last week I decided that while I plan for my future greenhouse (hopefully next year!) I just had to plant some things outside.  I do have parsley, several types of sage, French tarragon, thyme, and Greek Oregano by the front walk, but I was missing a few of my favorite herbs, so I got some visiting nephews to carry up the containers I'd used on the deck and planted a row of big pots by the front porch.  Now I have pots filled with basil (x2), rosemary, flat parsley, dill, and mint, and can happily cook with herbs all summer long!  And I've already got Basil Vinaigrette in the fridge, so life is good at Chez Kalyn.

Click to continue reading