Recipe for Low-Sugar and Whole Wheat Garden Harvest Cake with Zucchini, Apple, and Carrot

Low-Sugar and Whole Wheat Garden Harvest Cake with Zucchini, Apple, and Carrot
Low-Sugar and Whole Wheat Garden Harvest Cake

Labor Day signifies the impending arrival of fall and harvest time, and this Garden Harvest Cake is a great way to celebrate the bounty of the season. This may be the first time I've gotten a recipe from Twitter, but when Addie sent out a link saying it was the most searched for recipe in the Austin American Statesman recipe database, I had to take a look. When I saw this recipe for a cake with zucchini, carrots, and apple, I thought it would be fun to make a low-sugar and whole wheat version. I didn't have the right size pan, so mine turned out a bit flat, but otherwise I loved this recipe, especially the way you see flecks of carrot in the finished cake. Some people might consider this more of a bread than a cake, but the apple and carrot do make it sweeter than most zucchini bread. I ate my cake mainly for breakfast, celebrating the fall weather and enjoying the harvest.

Click to continue reading