Simple Sustainable (and very delicious) Rainbow Trout – It's Almost Too Easy

At the end of the voiceover for this super simple, yet very delicious rainbow trout recipe, I mention that it is an earth-friendly fish to eat. Of course I said that before actually checking, so I was kind of nervous as I Googled it after the fact, hoping that my assumptions were correct. Luckily it's true, rainbow trout is considered a great sustainable seafood choice, and I didn't have to redo the narration.

This video recipe has it all when it comes to beginner fish cooks. Trout is a really mild flavored fish, it's readily available, and usually comes cleaned, boneless, and ready to cook. Because it is so thin and delicate, it only takes a couple minutes under a hot broiler and you're ready to enjoy. In fact, I can see some of you novice cooks watching and thinking, hey, this seems too easy…what's the catch? There isn’t one.

The sauce here, if you can even call it a sauce, is a simple brown butter, spiked with a little lemon and parsley. Since trout is such a light fish, this minimalist preparation is perfect. If you are feeling adventurous, try some variations on the Italian parsley – almost any of the tender, sweet herbs – dill, tarragon, chervil, etc., will work beautifully here.

Whenever I post a basic fish recipe like this, I'm always hoping to convert a few of you, "I don't like fish," or "I can’t cook fish," people. You really are missing out, and you only have so many good fish-eating years left. What are you waiting for? Enjoy!





Ingredients:
2 whole boneless rainbow trout
salt and pepper to taste
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or other herb