Recipe for Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole

This is my kicked-up version of Dolores' Un-Stuffed Cabbage Casserole; thanks Dolores!

Today's my birthday, and even though this is not a milestone birthday I still like to get as much birthday mileage out of the day as I can, so I'm in San Francisco where I'll be attending the BlogHer Holiday Meet-Up and visiting my stepsisters Karyn and Bobbi.  Having a birthday that's close to the end of the year means a double-dose of reflecting on life every December.  One thing I've been thinking for a while now is how ironically it seemed easier to eat healthy meals when I went off to work every day.   In those days I had to take a lunch, and when I got home I had to work on the blog, so there wasn't much time to go out to eat.  Being forced to plan ahead for meals meant I always made diet-friendly casseroles or soups on the weekend to make sure my freezer was well-stocked to get me through the week.  That's a habit I'm going to work on cultivating again, so over the weekend I made this amazing Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole and I have six servings of it in the freezer waiting for me at home!

Click to continue reading