Recipe for Farro with Mushrooms, Thyme, and Balsamic Vinegar

Farro with Mushrooms, Thyme, and Balsamic Vinegar makes a tasty side dish.

Farro with Mushrooms

I'm accumulating a lot of cookbooks, and sometimes I just don't get around to trying anything from them, even when the recipes look great. That's been the case with Lorna Sass' great book, Whole Grains, Every Day Every Way. I've been reading this informative book for months, but this is the first thing I've cooked from it. The book has gotten me interested in many grains I'm not familiar with like farro, spelt, amaranth, and millet. I wanted to try farro for months, but I couldn't find it anywhere in Salt Lake, not even Whole Foods! Then my generous brother Rand got some at the Ferry Building in San Francisco and sent it to me. (I loved the flavor of farro when I tried this recipe, and once I had my hands on some, I did find the same brand of Organic Italian Farro by Giancomo Santoleri at Amazon.com, hooray!) You can also make this recipe with brown rice or barley if you don't find any farro where you are.

Click to continue reading