Shrimp and Avocado Salad with Edamame, Cilantro, Chipotle, and Lime

Shrimp and Avocado SaladIn Utah the gardener's rule is don't plant your tomatoes until after Mother's Day. I've tempted fate for years by planting earlier, and since my garden has a nice tall fence on three sides, I've been able to get away with it. Of course, when you break rules you get caught eventually, and after temperatures below freezing two nights in a row, I'm mourning the loss of about half the tomato plants I showed in the last garden update, plus a few other things I had planted during the week. (Yes, I know I should have used Wall-of-Water!) Luckily all the herbs are fine, and a few brave seeds are coming up despite the cold.

After such a sad couple of days in the garden, I needed something seriously comforting to eat today. I had shrimp and edamame in the freezer and combined them with avocados, cilantro, and a Chipotle-lime dressing to make a great salad that took my mind off the garden, at least for a while. I loved the crunch of the edamame in this, but if you don't have those in your freezer, this would still be a great salad without them.

Click to continue reading