Creamy Cauliflower Soup

While exchanging recipes with a fellow food snob friend, she told me about a delicious cauliflower soup she had created. Even though I had never eaten cauliflower soup before I knew this was something I had to try and create myself. What surprised me was how creamy this soup turned out without having any cream. Healthy?! Non-fattening?! Tasty?! Sign me up.

_______________________________________________________

Serves 4
Large head of cauliflower (about 2lbs), cut into small florets
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp oil
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 bay leaf
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Salt & pepper

In a large pot over medium-high heat add the butter and oil. Once melted add the cauliflower, carrot and celery and season well with salt and pepper. Saute until the vegetables are tender about 8-10 minutes. Add the chicken stock, milk, bay leaf and red pepper flakes. Turn heat down to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Taste and season again with salt and pepper. You could leave the soup just as is at this point in all it's tender cauliflower chunks, or you could puree in batches in a blender. Be careful to vent the blender a bit. Because the liquid is hot, when you turn the blender on it will explode (I've totally done that before).

Serve with warm crusty bread or buns.

Click here for printable version of Creamy Cauliflower Soup
_________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
As I was making this soup I said to my husband "you don't like cauliflower, do you?" "Not really" was his response. "Try this" I said to him as I scooped a spoonful of chunky cauliflower soup into his mouth. "Kay never mind...maybe I do".

This soup tastes great in it's chunky form or in it's creamy form. I love when simple ingredients can yield such delicious results. Thanks for the idea Tara!


For other frugal meal ideas check out $5 Dinners.