Recipe for Basil Pesto with Lemon (and Ten Ideas for Using Basil Pesto)

Basil Pesto with LemonI remember the first time I tasted basil pesto, which was simply called pesto back in those days before this type of uncooked Italian sauce started being made from many different herbs or vegetables like it is today. My first basil pesto was made by a guy named Steve, who not only was a fantastic cook, but who had a food processor! This was years before I thought of purchasing such an exotic cooking tool, but now I can't imagine living without it. Since then, I've made many types of pesto, and I make basil pesto every year when the garden is bursting with midsummer basil. For a few years now I've been adding lemon juice to my basil pesto, and I don't think I'd ever make it again without the lemon, which brightens up the flavor and keeps the pesto bright green much longer in the fridge. Of course, pesto never stays around in the fridge that long around here, but if you need some ideas for using it, look after the recipe for suggestions.

Click to continue reading