Recipe for Caprese Salad with Red and Green Tomatoes and Kiwifruit

Caprese Salad with Red and Green Tomatoes and KiwifruitCaprese Salad (or Insalata Caprese) is one of those classic Italian summer dishes that I never get tired of eating when I have vine-ripened tomatoes from the garden and fresh mozzarella cheese in the fridge. I'm perfectly happy with a Caprese Salad with just the classic combination of red tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, and some good olive oil, but it's also fun to experiment with other ideas. I loved this Caprese Salad variation that paired red and green tomatoes with some perfectly ripe Kiwifruit, a light drizzle of white balsamic vinaigrette, and lots of fresh basil chiffonade. I ate about half of this for lunch on the day I took these photos, and then about an hour later I ate the rest for a snack, but this would also make a beautiful first course for a dinner party.

Click to continue reading