Taco Soup


It's been so cold and snowy here all week, I just want to bundle up with warm sweaters and drape blankets over my body and eat soup. I posted a question on Facebook the other day and asked what your favorite soup's are to make. Some seriously great ideas were posted and I really want to try ALL of them (ok except for maybe yours Tara ;) ) and it got me thinking about my favorite soups.

Last winter I was on the search for the best Taco soup recipe, and I probably made 4 or 5 different recipes trying to find the perfect one to share with you, but I did it! I made this soup for the second time this weekend (just to make sure I was right last winter) and love how hearty it is; kind of reminiscent of a taco chili. The package of dry ranch dressing mix is a weird addition but it really does add great flavor. My favorite way to serve this is with a little dollop of sour cream that you stir in as you eat, blushing the soup and adding a great tangyness.


Recipe adapted from Paula Deen via For the Love of Cooking
__________________________________________________________________________________

Serves 4-6



1 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion, diced
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp taco seasoning (homemade or store-bought)
1 15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup of frozen corn
1 28 0z can diced tomatoes
1 4.5 oz can diced green chilies
28g pkg ranch salad dressing mix
2 cups water

Optional Toppings:
Sour cream
Cheese, grated

In a large pot, turn heat to medium-high and brown the ground beef with the onions, garlic, and taco seasoning breaking it up as it cooks. It will take about 8 minutes for the beef to brown and the onions to soften. Once browned, add the rest of the ingredients and bring up to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 2 hours. I like to serve this with a dollop of sour cream on top of each bowl for each person to stir in. You can also add a bit of grated cheese if you like.

Alternatively, you could cook this in a slow cooker. Brown the beef, onions, garlic and taco seasoning in a frying pan on the stove top. Once cooked, dump into a large slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook 4-6 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.


Click here for printable version of Taco Soup

__________________________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
It's possible that I ate most of the pot of this soup by myself. It is also quite possible I ate it for breakfast one morning. This soup is easy and low maintenance to make and I loved the results. Think chili or hamburger soup but like, taco style.


Meal Ideas:

  • Taco Soup + Buns