Recipe for Chicken Adobo (Chicken Cooked in Soy Sauce and Vinegar)

Authentic Chicken Adobo would use bone-in chicken thighs, but this version was still very tasty.

(Updated September 2011)  Chicken Adobo is the national dish of the Philipines, and it's traditionally made with a whole chicken or bone-in chicken legs and thighs.  The chicken is simmered in the Adobo mixture of soy sauce, vinegar, water, garlic, bay leaves, onions, and pepper, and then usually broiled or pan-fried. Back in 2005 I tried my hand at making Chicken Adobo, using the recipe from Mark Bittman's The Best Recipes in the World and some advice I'd gotten from other food bloggers. That recipe was long overdue for a photo make-over, and I wanted to see if I could make this dish a little more diet legal for South Beach Dieters, so I tried making it with skinless, boneless chicken breasts. If you make this with chicken breasts, definitely you need to be careful not to cook it too long or use heat that's too high, but the new version was really quite tasty.

Click to continue reading