Recipe for Farro Salad with Asparagus, Red Bell Pepper, and Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette

Farro SaladFarro is a chewy, slightly nutty tasting type of Emmer wheat that's imported from Italy, and I loved it the first time I tasted it. Most Farro will be perlato, which means some of the hull has been removed so it won't need to be soaked. However I bought the Farro I used in this recipe at a tiny grocery store in the North end of Providence, Rhode Island, where I went with Lydia, and it seemed to be whole-grain farro. After soaking, I cooked the Farro in a rice cooker, but you can cook it on the stove as well. True Farro can be hard to find in the U.S. (even Whole Foods sold me spelt in Salt Lake, although spelt and farro are not the same.) However, if you can't find Farro where you live, you can make this salad with wheatberries or barley.

Click to continue reading