Cookbook Review - Favorite Turkey Burger with Basil Aioli


I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! I took a little blogging break to partake in many Christmas parties with friends and family and wrapping up Preschool for 2010. We celebrated Christmas with my family coming to stay with us and our girls were absolutely spoiled by their Poppa and Uncle Kris. My living room looked like Santa's workshop threw up in it.

And now that the mess has been cleaned up, the family has gone home and all the rich holiday food has been consumed I'm so in the mood for healthy eating! I made these burgers from Everyday Food: Great Food Fast a couple weeks ago and I'm already dreaming about having them again. To be honest, if my friend Bree hadn't highly recommended this recipe to me, I probably wouldn't have tried it. When she started telling me how they were loaded with Gruyere cheese melting inside the patties, and flavored with garlic and Dijon mustard I immediately scheduled it into my meal plan. Bree told me the burgers have big flavor on their own so you don't want to overshadow it with ketchup and mustard and the usual condiments. "Just a nice mayo is all you need" she told me. I concocted an easy aioli that compliments the flavor of the burgers and makes these guys one of my favorite burgers ever; apparently living up to their name.



Burger recipe from Everyday Food: Great Food Fast
Basil Aioli recipe by Meal Planning 101

__________________________________________________________________________________

Makes 6 burgers


Burger:
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1/2 cup finely grated Gruyere cheese
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
6 ciabatta buns

Basil Aioli:
1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
2-3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced

In a medium bowl, use a fork to gently combine the turkey with the Gruyere, green onions, breadcrumbs, Dijon mustard, and garlic; season generously with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture evenly into 6 1-inch thick patties.

Grilling: Heat grill to high and lightly oil the grates. Place the patties on the hottest part of the grill; sear until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Move the patties to the cooler part of the grill; continue grilling until cooked through 5-10 minutes per side.

Frying pan: In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1-2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Place the burgers in the pan with a lid on and cook 7-8 minutes per side.

Split the burger buns and toast on the grill or under the broiler for a minute or two. Mix up the aioli in a small bowl and top one side of the bun with the mixture. Lay a turkey burger over the aioli and top with your favorite burger toppings: lettuce, tomato, thinly sliced onion, pickles, cheese, etc.

__________________________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
These are phenomenal turkey burgers! The Gruyere cheese was a new thing for me but I loved the flavor it added to the burgers. I used a nice ciabatta bun instead of regular hamburger buns and they were perfect. These burgers are an easy weeknight meal with a 5 star rating.

Meal Ideas: