The Other Chocolate Chip Cookies

Since I've been married to Justin I've sworn by this chocolate chip recipe (shown here). It's my mother-in-laws and it's the best in my opinion. But the thing about her recipe is that it requires a box of vanilla pudding. Now most of the time I keep it on hand and you wouldn't catch me dead without a box of pudding in my house, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. Today was one of those days. After dinner I asked Justin what he wanted me to make and he insisted on chocolate chip cookies. Then I realized I was plum out of pudding. How disappointing! So I got mad and went on the hunt for the perfect chocolate chip cookie with ingredients that any casual baker would have on hand at all times. And I found this. Dare I say they are better than my mother-in-laws original perfect cookies? Now I'm not out to put anyone down or come out with a statement that the recipe I have is better than yours, or your moms, or your grandmas. I'm just sayin they're pretty dang good and if you're bored one day, just whip them out and you will NOT be disappointed! I also came to realize a few pointers about making chocolate chip cookies that aren't flat as a pancake, super tender on the inside and a little crisp on the edges:

-Make sure you cream your butter and sugar to start until is light and creamy. This can take up to 3-5 minutes folks. When you taste it, it should taste whipped and airy.

-Add the eggs and vanilla and beat ANOTHER several minutes. If you aren't diligent about this, your cookies will fall flat on their faces.

-You have to be spot on with your flour. I like to measure, but I always scant on every recipe. I beat the flour and then feel the texture between both fingers. If it's extremely sticky and sticks to both fingers, you need to add more flour. Obviously if it's crumbly, you've added too much. It's a fine science really. The perfect texture is when it's very tender so you can handle it, but it's not sticking to your hand if you roll it into a ball. So I usually add flour till I get this texture.

-DON'T skimp on the chocolate chips!!! They are the heart and soul of the cookie. If you're not going to go big, just don't even make them:)

-Cook them till they are BARELY brown on top. There is a fine line between undercooked and over cooked. You don't want them all over brown. As soon as you see a tiny bit of color coming to the top or sides of the cookie, take them out.

I swear if you follow these rules your cookies will come out perfect every time! With the right recipe of course...

Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 t vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour (or until the perfect texture is achieved)
1/2 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder
2 1/4 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy (about 3-5 minutes). Add eggs and vanilla and beat another several minutes until very airy. Add baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour and beat until well incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Batter should be thick. Drop onto a cookie sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes depending on your oven. Remove immediately from the cookies sheet to a cooling rack. Enjoy!

* Adapted from Savory Sweet Life