Chipotle Marinated Flat-Iron Steak Tacos... with Corn-Avocado Relish


Chipotle Marinated Flat-Iron Steak Tacos... with Corn-Avocado Relish. I normally like to use a flank steak whenever I make any type of beef soft tacos. But recently I noticed our local market carrying flat-iron steaks... and they had such a great deal on them. Took my chance and bought a few pieces because I knew I could always pressure-cook the meat and shred it if the meat would end up being tough. But I was really hoping for a tender and flavorful cut of beef.... at an affordable price. So glad I bought a few pieces, because with the great deal at our local market, I ended up finding a new favorite cut of beef! At least one that I wasn't aware of before. 

The flat-iron steak can contain quite a bit of marbling, which is really nice, as it makes the steak quite tender and packed with flavor. The steak usually comes in a rectangular shape and actually looks like the back of a "flat iron"... therefore the name. But the steak can also go by a different name, depending on how each supermarket labels the package... it can be labeled as top blade roasts, or if cut crosswise, as top blade steaks.

I normally don't cook a ton of beef. But every so often, I'll add it to our meals. So with my new found "treasure"... I've been grilling the steaks. Found them to be really tender... almost tenderloin quality. I was really surprised. Maybe it's the Montana cows:). But I did want to introduce you to this different steak cut... in case you've never tried it. It's normally not as expensive as other prime beef cuts.

When it comes to making soft tacos, I usually grill some sweet peppers along with an onion. Then I cut the vegetables in strips and season them with a light chimichurri -style dressing. I'll then serve it alongside thinly sliced grilled meat. ... be it chicken or beef. For this post I used beef, and instead of the grilled vegetables, I made a quick corn-avocado relish... just to vary things up a bit.                                                     
For the most part, I will make the soft tacos using homemade tortillas. I love doubling up when making a batch... and then freezing the tortillas. And since I had some whole wheat tortillas in my freezer that I made earlier, the meal came together rather quickly. Was able to snap a photo of the final dish as my husband was eating away. He was kind enough to hold still for a bit... it's actually one of his favorite meals:). Hope you enjoy...

Note: In case you are interested in making your own homemade tortillas you can see the post here.... HOMEMADE TORTILLAS.

Ingredients for Corn-Avocado Relish:

Tip: You could also make this an avocado-corn relish by decreasing the corn to 1/2 cup and adding an extra avocado. And if you are planning on making this ahead, you may want to add the avocado just before serving, so it won't darken on you... and look fresh:).
And if you are looking to cut down the carbs, opt to skip the tortillas and serve as a salad.

2 cups corn*
1 avocado, diced
1 red jalapeno, minced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
3 TBS lime juice
1/4-1/2 cup red onion, diced
2-3 TBS olive oil
salt to taste
* I used frozen and placed under hot running water

Directions:

1. Thaw corn by placing under running hot water, Drain well and place in a bowl.
2. Add jalapeno, onion, cilantro and oil. Mix until combine. Gently stir in avocado and lime juice. Season with salt.

Ingredients for Grilled Chipotle Flat-Iron Steak:

1.25 lb flat-iron steak( you could also use flank, skirt, flap, tri-tip steak)

Marinade:
1 tsp dried chipotle powder (you could use smoked paprika)
2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS fresh cilantro, chopped
2 TBS lime juice
2 garlic cloves, grated
salt to taste

Directions:
1. Mix steak marinade in a small bowl and pour over steak. Spread the marinade all over the steak to completely cover.
2. Place marinated steak in a plastic bag or container to marinate overnight... or at least a couple of hours.
3. Preheat grill on high heat. Place steak on grill and lower heat to med-high. Cook on one side for 3-6 minutes.
4. Flip steak over and grill for an additional 3-6 minutes ... time depends on how well cooked you like your steak. Allow to rest for at least 5 minutes. Slice... and serve with Corn-Avocado Relish. Use some soft tortillas to wrap it all up, if you like.