Crunchy Pumpkin Spice Granola






I really love crunchy granola on my morning yogurt but never came across a recipe I've liked until now.  It's a keeper, I've already made it 3 times!  It's crunchy and has the flavor of the holidays, pumpkin and cranberries.  I got the recipe from a wonderful blog Sally's Baking Addiction. This time of year I always have some leftover pumpkin puree in the fridge because I love to make pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin bread and now pumpkin granola.  It's baking in my oven right now and my home smells like the holidays!  

Ingredients:

3 and 3/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)

2/3 cup unsweetened coconut (I used sweetened coconut)

2/3 cup pumpkin seeds (I like LOTS of nuts  - 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup pecans (coarsely chopped) and 1/2 cup walnuts or almonds) 

1/4 cup uncooked quinoa (this is an interesting addition, but adds crunch and it's good for you)

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 large egg whites

1/2 cup pumpkin puree (100% pumpkin puree)

1/3 cup pure maple syrup

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (coconut oil is solid until you melt it)

3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar (I used light brown sugar)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2/3 cup dried cranberries ( I used 1 cup, also dried cherries work great)

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 325.  Line two large baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. Set aside. 
2.  In a large bowl, toss the oats, coconut, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt together until combined.  Set aside. 
3.  In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites for 1 minute.  Whisk in the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla until smooth and combined. 
4.  Pour over dry ingredients and mix until everything is moistened. Spread onto two baking sheets and bake  for 40 minutes, making sure to stir the granola every 10-15 minutes to prevent burning.  Allow granola to cool for 20 minutes on the baking sheets. This will help it get crunchier. Pour into a large bowl and add the dried cranberries. Cover tightly and store at room temperature for 3 weeks.  I haven't had that problem of it losing it's crunch, it even stayed fresh longer than 3 weeks.

UPDATE:  The holiday is over but I will be making this granola all year long.  It's absolutely perfect with my morning granola.