Summer Means Salads with Fresh Herbs, and Other Things I'm Thinking About (7-8-14)

Summer Means Salads with Fresh Herbs, and Things I'm Thinking About on Tuesday found on KalynsKitchen.com
This Middle Eastern Tomato Salad is a sure sign it's summer!

It's definitely summer weather at my house, and I couldn't be happier about it.  And although I'm still trying to figure out how to create a garden like I had at my old house, I do have an abundance of fresh herbs growing in those pots along the sidewalk that I mentioned about a month ago.  I started with six pots, but quickly decided I needed more basil, so now I have 4 pots of basil, and one each of mint, parsley, rosemary, and dill all thriving in the sun.  (They're in one of the few places here that gets bright sun all day long, so I need to remember to go out at dusk and take some photos!) There's also sage, French tarragon, thyme, Greek oregano, and more parsley growing in a little strip of dirt on other edge of the sidewalk, so I'm doing pretty well in the fresh herb department.

I've also been been to the farmers market three times, which is helping a little with the garden envy.  (If you want to see what I'm buying there you can follow me on Twitter or Instagram.)  And when I couldn't wait any longer for tomato salads, I bought some tomatoes from Costco and made a salad with sliced tomatoes, Buffalo mozzarella, and basil vinaigrette that I served at a family dinner party.  And there were just enough tomatoes left to make my all-time favorite Middle Eastern Tomato Salad for lunch, so life is good.

Now here are a few more things I've been thinking about . . .

Click to continue reading