Sesame Stir-Fried Veggies



I'm finally back home. We have had a stressful and heartbreaking two weeks as we flew out to the west coast for my Father-in-Law's funeral. We've eaten from take-out windows while driving in the car more times than I can count and I'm surprised I don't have scurvy yet from surviving on french fries, sushi and Starbuck's coffee. I'm so ready to cook a delicious, healthy meal in my own kitchen with my own hands and sit at my own table. Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. It was so encouraging and totally put a smile on my (stressed out) face.

Before all the calamity ensued, Steve and I had some friends over for a homemade Chinese food feast where we served up some delicious Chinese Steamed Spareribs in Black Bean Sauce, Lemon Chicken with Fried Rice and this simple and delicious side dish. It was a bit of an accident we whipped up one night with some leftover vegetables in the crisper. And a happy accident at that.

____________________________________________________________________
Serves 4


Any combination of vegetables you like (My fave is mushrooms, broccoli and celery), chopped into 1 inch pieces
Minced garlic
Sesame oil
Vegetable oil
Sesame seeds, toasted (totally optional)

In a wok or frying pan over medium high heat, add a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil. When pan is hot add the vegetables and stir-fry for a few minutes. Add the minced garlic. I find that if you add the garlic now instead of at the beginning you avoid burning it....burned garlic is very bad. Very bitter and very bad.

Stir-fry for about 5 more minutes until the vegetable are to desired tenderness. They should be soft but still have a bit of a crunch left. Drizzle over about a tablespoon of sesame oil. You don't want to use the sesame oil to fry the veggies because it has a very low smoke point (Read: it will burn). It's not a cooking oil, but a seasoning or a flavoring. Toss to coat well and top with toasted sesame seeds.


Click here for printable version of Sesame Stir-Fried Veggies.
____________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
This is one of my new favorite ways to cook vegetables as a side dish. I love the simplicity. I once tried to get all complicated by adding soy sauce and ginger and it came out all wrong. The flavors of the vegetables got lost and so did the fragrant sesame flavor. Plain and simple is best.

It's too bad I had to learn that lesson when I was trying to impress my company.