Spanikopita Chicken Meatballs



Apparently I've got meatballs on the brain lately since we've been eating them in subs and dill sour cream sauces and such. The craving is still going strong and I've got plans for Vietnamese Meatballs with Vermicelli and Thai Meatballs dipped in sweet chili dipping sauce, but for today, we are going Mediterranean. These meatballs are delicious and HEALTHY and LOW FAT! ANDDDDDDD my toddler shocked me and wolfed them down and kept saying "more...peeeeese" AAAANNNNNNDDDDDD you get to dip them and smother them in tzaziki sauce and it's a perfect match.

Anything that is healthy, low-fat, my toddler loves and can be eaten with buckets of tzaziki is like the best meal EVER in my books.

Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray 
__________________________________________________________________________________

Serves 2-4

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (I used 1/2 of a 750 g bag of Europe's Best)
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
1 lb ground chicken
1 tbsp grill seasoning

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Defrost the spinach in the microwave, then place in a kitchen towel and squeeze to remove all the excess water. Place in a large mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix really well. I didn't use feta because it made the recipe more expensive and I knew my husband and I wouldn't miss it. I've tried it with and without and both are delicious. If you too want to cut costs, don't worry...it's totally amazing without.

Roll into about 18 (1 1/2 inch) meatballs and place on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with a little bit more olive oil and place in oven and bake for about 12 minutes, turn over and bake for another 10-14 minutes or until the meatballs are golden brown and cooked all the way through.

Serve with lots of tzaziki sauce.


Click here for printable version of Spanikopita Chicken Meatballs
__________________________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
I'm pretty sure the cat's out of the bag with an introduction like that, but yes indeed, I LOVED THEM. I didn't miss the feta at all and just savored all the delicious flavors, lean meat and healthy spinach. And of course the copious amounts of tzaziki ;)

I did have to cook them for more than double the amount of time that Ray Ray says to...I don't know about you, but I don't want to serve undercooked chicken to my fam. Other than that, they are tender and delicious and like I said....my toddler lapped them up. That's good enough for me.


Meal Ideas: