How to Cook Artichokes in a Pressure Cooker

If you have a pressure cooker, you really should try using it to cook artichokes!

Artichokes cooked

If you didn't grow up eating artichokes, they can look pretty unapproachable. Luckily I had a mother who loved artichokes, and we had them as often as the budget would permit. Some people cook them whole and cut the choke out after, but I learned from my mom to cut the artichokes in half and cut out the choke before cooking. This may have been due to having ten kids in the family, since each family member got half an artichoke, probably all the budget would permit!

Whatever the reason I've been doing it that way ever since, even now that I'm buying my own artichokes and can eat as many as I want. I used to cook my artichokes in a pan with a few inches of boiling water, but when CookieCrumb shared the idea of using the pressure cooker, I thought it was brilliant. I followed CookieCrumb's idea of adding some aromatics to the water and checked Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure to help with the timing.

Click to continue reading