Slow Cooker Recipe for Black Beans with Cilantro

CrockPot Black Beans with Cilantro
Creamy Black Beans with Cilantro make a great side dish any time of year.

(This easy side dish made in the slow cooker was first posted in 2006 and updated July 2012 with step-by-step photos and better instructions.)  I can't remember where I first saw this recipe, but I jotted it down in a little notebook I carry around to write down ideas for the blog.  Then when I decided to use cilantro in every recipe for a month I remembered this recipe and tried it.  I loved these flavorful black beans that were so easy to cook in the slow cooker without heating up the house.  The dried cilantro that seasons the beans while they cook isn't in any way a substitute for fresh cilantro, but in something like this that's cooked for a long time, it adds a lot of flavor. I get my dried cilantro from Penzeys, but if you don't have dried cilantro, I'd suggest oregano as a substitute.

Click to continue reading