Sweet Potato Brownies... Sweet#10

Sweet Potato Brownies...  a healthier version. This was one of my husband's favorite desserts from all the cookies in the "sweet series" I've been posting.... and this recipe happened to be the only non-cookie dessert of the bunch. Sure, he liked all the cookies I made, some more than others... but somehow he had a soft spot for these brownies. 

He loved the flavors, the nuts, the fudgy texture... maybe it was because I added some orange peel to the batter and used a good chocolate instead of the regular chocolate chips I normally use. But whatever the reason, my husband  now wants me to buy sweet potato... just to make these brownies:). So here is the last of the "sweets".... hope you've enjoyed the mini series. But, now ... on to other "healthier" recipes:). Hope you enjoy...

Note: I added some of the measurements in cups... as I measured on my scale... as well as changes I made to the original recipe. Feel free to check the original recipe.

You will need: adapted from Dan Lepard

100 grams ( I used 6 TBS) unsalted butter
125 grams dark chocolate, chopped* 
200 grams baked sweet potato puree(1 cup minus 3 TBS)
125 grams brown sugar (1/2 cup+2TBS+2tsp packed)
1 ex-large egg
1 TBS vanilla extract
100 grams plain flour (3/4 cup)
¼ tsp baking powder
pinch of salt 
75 grams chopped chocolate*
100 grams chopped pecans(about 1 cup half pieces of pecans before chopped)
1 TBS orange zest, optional
* I ended up using a dark Callebaut chocolate

Directions:
1. Cook sweet potato(es)... either baked, steamed, or pressure cooked until soft. I ended up using my pressure cooker... peeled and cut sweet potato into chunks, placed them in the steamer basket and pressure cooked them for about 9 minutes or until fork tender. If you have some leftover cooked sweet potato puree from a previous meal( unsalted and unflavored), you could use that instead.
2. Place sweet potato chunks in food processor and process till smooth. Measure out 200 grams(or a scant cup...which is about a cup minus 3 TBS). Set aside.
  • Line an 8 inch square pan( or similar) with nonstick parchment paper.
  • Pre-heat the oven to 350 deg. F
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add 125g of the chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted.
2. In a bowl, beat the sweet potato puree with the brown sugar until almost smooth. 
3. Mix in the melted butter /chocolate mixture. 
4. Add the egg, orange zest, and vanilla, beat until thick.
5. Stir in the flour and baking powder until evenly combined. 
6. Fold in the pecans and 75 grams of chopped chocolate.
7. Spread brownie batter in parchment lined baking pan and smooth the top.
8. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until barely cooked but still a bit soft under the crust. I baked mine for 25 minutes. Leave to cool completely in the pan before cutting.