Recipe for Chicken Egg Foo Yung with Mushrooms and Green Onions

Chicken Egg Foo Yung with Mushrooms and Green Onions
If you like Egg Foo Yung in restaurants, this is a delicious version to make at home.

(For Phase One Fridays I highlight Phase One recipes from the past that have been my personal favorites.  If you've never thought of making Egg Foo Yung at home, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by this recipe.)

In 2001 I went to Hong Kong and Beijing with my brother Rand, and it didn't take long to realize that most of what we consider to be "Chinese food" in the U.S. is definitely Chinese-American food. I know Egg Foo Yung is one of those dishes that falls in the Chinese-American category, and although it doesn't get much respect compared to more exotic items you find on menus, it can be one of my favorites when it's made well. I learned to love Egg Foo Yung at The Pagoda, a Chinese American Restaurant in Salt Lake (with a Japanese name!) My family went there for special occasions, and I remember eating Egg Foo Yung at the Pagoda as a reward for making the honor roll in high school. In all the years since then, I don't think I've thought of making Egg Foo Yung myself until I saw this recipe from Fine Cooking. Their version was a little different than the dish I learned to like as a teenager but equally delicious, and if you like Egg Foo Yung, you should try this recipe right away!

Click to continue reading