Italian Sausage and Kale Soup Recipe with Whole Wheat Orzo (or broken spaghetti)

I love this Italian Sausage and Kale Soup with Whole Wheat Orzo.  If you don't have orzo, use some broken pieces of whole wheat spaghetti!

Italian Sausage and Kale Soup Recipe with Whole Wheat Orzo (or broken spaghetti) found on KalynsKitchen.com

I'd probably never heard of Whole Wheat Orzo Pasta in 2010 when I first made this Italian Sausage and Kale Soup using broken pieces of whole wheat spaghetti, but orzo is such a perfect soup ingredient that when I decided to update the recipe with better photos, it seemed like a perfect switch.  So now I have to rename the recipe to Italian Sausage and Kale Soup with Whole Wheat Orzo, don't I?  But no worries if you don't have orzo (or don't want to buy it), go ahead and break up some spaghetti into short pieces to add to the soup.  You could also make a delicious lower-carb soup using this recipe by leaving out the pasta completely.  

Sausage, kale, tomatoes, and whole wheat orzo or spaghetti; doesn't that sound like a combination that could inspire a lot of good recipes?  When I updated the photos for this soup, I increased the amount of kale so the soup is even more nutritious, but no matter how you make it, this soup is definitely a winner.  (Updated January 2015 with better photos and instructions.)


Click to continue reading