Chilled Wilted Tatsoi Salad Recipe with Sesame-Ginger Dressing

Chilled Wilted Tatsoi SaladA few weeks ago I went to the Salt Lake Downtown Alliance Farmer's Market for the first time this year and got some Tatsoi. I had only vaguely heard of Tatsoi, but I thought it would be fun to try. Apparently it's a type of Asian greens related to bok choy that can be eaten raw or cooked. It's becoming popular and is now grown around the world. Interestingly, the plant is resistant to cold, and several sources mentioned it can be harvested from underneath snow. Apparently Tatsoi grows in a lovely bunch like this, but what I got was a bag of leaves, and more searching revealed that you can harvest the whole plant or individual leaves. I did find a few other bloggers talking about Tatsoi (mostly people who had received it in their CSA box and were wondering what to do with it!) Some people compare the flavor to mustard greens, but I found it to be milder, more like swiss chard, and very pleasant. Since there are new rules for Weekend Herb Blogging which request focusing on herbs or unusual plant ingredients, I thought Tatsoi would be a fun thing to feature. This week's host is Simona from Briciole, and here is where to send your entry if you'd like to participate.

Click to continue reading