Thai Green Curry


Thai food has become a new obsession for my husband and myself. Our foodie friends Dan & Lisa invite us over every couple of weeks for supper and usually end up cooking us scrumptious and authentic Thai food. I was craving one of the dishes they made so much that I made sure that we went to a Thai restaurant when we were in Vancouver in April. Steve ended up loving his friend Tim's green curry so much I'm pretty sure his "can I have a bite?" turned into eating the rest of the bowl.

He just about crapped his pants when I told him I was going to make it at home.


*Recipe from Rasa Malaysia by Bonbini
____________________________________________________________________

Serves 4


3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite-sized chunks
2 tbsp green curry paste (if you don't like super spicy use less curry paste)
1 can of coconut milk
1 cup bamboo shoots (these are canned and you'll find them in the International food aisle)
3 kaffir lime leaves, split and thinly sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vegetable oil

In a frying pan over medium heat, add the oil and curry paste and saute. Once you can really smell the curry paste and it's nice and fragrant, add about 1/2 the can of coconut milk and keep stirring until the oils in the curry paste surface. Then add the chicken and lime leaves and let cook until the chicken is almost done. Add the rest of the can of coconut milk, fish sauce, and sugar and bring to a boil. Add the bamboo shoots and red pepper and simmer for 5 minutes just until the bamboo shoots are soft but the red pepper still has a bit of a crunch. Remove from the heat.

Serve over jasmine rice.

Click here for printable version of Thai Green Curry.

____________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
Spicy and incredibly delicious! My husband kept exclaiming how amazing it was and has asked me several times in the last week when I'm going to make it again. I love that it's super quick and easy to throw together yet yields such delicious results.