Meal Plan 35 - Repurposing Leftovers



While I may have had an unplanned break from posting here, my meal planning and cooking was in full swing. I have been inspired in the last 3-4 months to become more spontaneous and creative in the kitchen using up whatever bits of things I have in my fridge or pantry. Over my Easter break my girls and I headed on a 12 hour trek across the prairies to visit my Grandparents farm. I loved my Grandma's skills at quickly coming up with menu's to feed all 10 of us, making sure that every last scrap in the fridge got eaten up.

My biggest issue with eating leftovers is that sometimes the flavor profile stays exactly the same. When I use up my last bits of food I make sure to completely change the flavors so it becomes an entirely new meal that everyone looks forward to. Not only is this a frugal way of eating but I feel like I'm getting in touch with my roots and doing a modern version of what my Grandmother does. I like that.


Day 1: Charbroiled Pork Vermicelli
I can't even order this in a restaurant anymore since I can do such a perfect recreation at home. I guess that means I get to try new things and find a new dish to recreate ;)


Day 2: Roasted Chicken and Potatoes with Rosemary & Lemon served with Broccoli
This is a fabulous roasted chicken from Jamie Oliver.



Day 3: Shredded Chicken Flautas with Salsa, Sour Cream & Guacamole served with Salad
You can use up most of the leftover shredded chicken to make these tasty Mexican packets. My husband and I love these things.


Day 4: Asparagus, Roasted Potato & Rosemary Frittata with Salad
Use any leftover lemon roasted potatoes from the Jamie Oliver recipe, saute some asparagus, add some eggs and cheese and have a completely quick and fabulous dinner another day.

Day 5: Curried Chicken Noodle Soup with Chickpeas & Spinach with Artisan Bread
Boil the leftover chicken carcass to create your own chicken broth, add any leftover bits of chicken, curry paste, a can of chick peas, noodles and spinach for ANOTHER quick, easy and delicious tasting meal. We love our soups served with some kind of carby morsel so a great bread picked up from the local bakery would work well here.


Day 6: Beef Stroganoff with Red Wine, Dijon & Dill served with Sauteed Asparagus (and a glass of red wine)
Any time I plan a meal that uses white or red wine in the dish, I like to serve it on a Friday or Saturday so my husband and I can have an at-home date night and polish off the rest of the bottle of wine.



For more great meal plans, check out my complete list of meal plans or the Menu Plan Monday links at Orgjunkie.