Recipe for Marinated Summer Squash and Chickpea Salad with Lemon, Herbs, and Parmesan

Marinated Summer Squash and Chickpea Salad with Lemon, Herbs, and Parmesan
Every year when I'm planting my garden I try at least one plant variety that's new to me, and this year the one that caught my eye at the garden center was the little scalloped Flying Saucer Squash. According to the info that came in the plant, this two-colored squash hybrid is perfect for eating raw. Last summer I loved Zucchini Carpaccio and Raw Summer Squash Salad, so when these cute little squashes started showing up on the plants, I decided to come up with a new salad to try them. I was eating this for lunch as a main-dish salad, so I added garbanzo beans for more protein, and I marinated the beans and squash in a lemony vinaigrette before I combined them with the fresh herbs and sprinkled with parmesan. The Flying Saucer Squash did stay delightfully crisp in the salad (much more so than zucchini or regular yellow summer squash,) and I loved this combination. I think Flying Saucer Squash just became a regular garden plant for me.

Click to continue reading