Kale and Romaine Caesar Salad (Low-Carb, Gluten-Free)

Kale and Romaine Caesar Salad (Low-Carb, Gluten-Free) found on KalynsKitchen.com
I would make an entire meal of this Kale and Romaine Caesar Salad

I promised I'd try to have meatless dishes on the blog for Meatless Monday mornings, and when I made that promise I was thinking about meatless main dishes like the Mediterranean Tostadas I featured last week.  But then I made this Kale and Romaine Caesar Salad with my nephew Jake, and we absolutely could not stop eating it.  The idea of combining kale and Caesar dressing came from Tuscan Kale Caesar Slaw from Bon Appetit Magazine, and it wasn't until we were about to make it that I thought of combining thinly-sliced romaine lettuce with sliced kale in the salad.  I loved the way the romaine toned the kale down just a bit and the combination of dark-green kale and lighter romaine was pretty too.  I'd consider this a meatless recipe but it's not vegan because the dressing has a tiny bit of anchovy paste and the salad has Parmesan.  (If you prefer you can substititute soy sauce for the anchovy paste.)   I loved this Caesar dressing recipe with no raw eggs, but Jake and I both agreed that even if you cheat and use my favorite bottled Caesar Dressing (or your own favorite vegan Caesar dressing) this will still be an amazingly delicious salad.  And when I make this again (soon!) I'll just eat a huge bowl of it for a meal, which I've decided entitles it to be in the spotlight for Meatless Monday.

Click to continue reading