Slow Cooker (or Stovetop) Vegetarian Black Bean and Rice Soup with Lime and Cilantro

Slow Cooker Black Bean and Rice Soup with Lime and Cilantro
I've made this Slow Cooker Black Bean and Rice Soup many times for parties!

(Updated February 2013 with better photos and instructions.)  I first made this recipe when black beans had been on my mind, and this recipe was one of those intuitive ones that swirled around in my brain for a few days and then suddenly I found myself in the kitchen making it. This has happened to me for years, but luckily when I started blogging I learned to write the recipes down.   The soup was flavorful and delicious, with earthy beans, sour lime juice and spicy cilantro all combined in a healthy soup without a drop of fat, salt, or gluten, and although I used chicken stock, it could have easily been vegan if you used vegetable stock.  This may be one of the healthiest recipes I've ever channeled and it's such a perfect Meatless Monday soup that I decided this recipe deserved better photos!

Click to continue reading