Recipe for Garbanzo, Tomato, and Cilantro Salad with Lime and Chile Dressing (with or without avocado)

I like this Garbanzo, Tomato, and Cilantro Salad even more with the addition of avocado!

(This recipe was revisited July 2011 and updated with better photos and the idea of adding avocado.)  I first made this Garbanzo, Tomato, and Cilantro salad in 2006, right before I went to my first-ever Blogher conference (and how little I realized at the time how attending that conference would enrich my life!)  Now I'm getting ready to go next month to what will be my eighth BlogHer sponsored event, and this recipe is ready for a little makeover.  My fondness for cilantro has been well documented on the blog, and I got the idea of combining it with garbanzos and tomatoes from a blog called Imagnifique, but after I made the salad from the recipe I'd printed back in 2006, the blog had disappeared.  Then in 2007 I spotted another version of the salad with Avocado, which I thought was an inspired addition. Thanks to Mooncrazy from Peanut Butter Etouffee for that variation.  If you like cilantro, garbanzos, and tomatoes, I bet you'll love this simple combination.

Click to continue reading