Recipe for Grilled Halloumi Cheese Skewers with Mushrooms and Sweet Onions

Grilled Halloumi Cheese Skewers with Mushrooms and Sweet Onions
Grilled Skewers with Marinated Halloumi Cheese, Mushrooms, and Sweet Onions for a unique Meatless Monday dish.

A few years ago I fell in love with Halloumi, a unique cheese from Cyprus that has a high melting point which allows it to be fried or grilled.  The browned cheese is delightful, and although Halloumi is a bit of a budget splurge, it's something I buy occasionally for a treat.  I had a block of Halloumi in the fridge and some mushrooms that needed to be used up, and that was all the inspiration I needed for these Grilled Halloumi Cheese Skewers with Mushrooms and Sweet Onions.  I marinated the cheese, mushrooms, and onions for a few hours in a mixture with Mediterranean flavors; then threaded them on to my favorite Double Kabob Skewers and grilled them.  The only thing that's at all difficult about cooking the skewers on the grill is making sure you use oil or non-stick spray right before you put the skewers on so the melting cheese doesn't stick to the grill.   And if you've never had Halloumi before, I'm thinking you're going to love this recipe; hope you try it!

Click to continue reading