On Holiday in a Forest of Foodies

I will be away for a few days attending the 24th Annual Chefs' Holidays at The Ahwahnee Hotel, in beautiful Yosemite National Park. Every year some of the country's top chefs gather at the historic Ahwahnee to showcase their considerable culinary skills. This is one of the country's great foodie gatherings, and the first time I've been able to attend. I'm really looking forward to seeing (and then sharing with you!) the styles, personalities, and trends that are shaping American cuisine.

The session I'm attending is entitled, "Chefs of the San Francisco Ferry Building" and includes presentations from Traci Des Jardins (you may remember her from the New Iron Chef competition), Peggy Smith and Sue Conley of Cowgirl Creamery (Mmmm...cheese!), and Amaryll Schwertner of Boulette’s Larder (Mmmm...has the word "lard" in it!). The festivities culminate with a fabulous Gala Chefs’ Dinner in the famous Ahwahnee Hotel's dinning room. I can't wait! I haven't been to a good gala in ages.

I will be taking lots of pictures, and stealing as many recipes as I can get my hands on. Time and technology permitting, I will also try and post from the actual event if I have any news or information that just can't wait. By the way, I just learned that "Ahwahnee" was the Yosemite native's word for "gaping mouth." - how appropriate!

Photo © Flickr user bryce_edwards