Meal Plan Week 7

Last week when I made this plan, I was awfully sick with a nasty cold. My husband and baby were also getting over being sick, so I thought it was a good week for some warm, comforting soups.

Day 1:
Beef Barley Soup
I made this soup from the leftovers from the Slow Cooker 3-Packet Pot Roast that I served at the end of last week's Meal Plan.

Day 2: Indian Night Tandoori Chicken, and Lemon Rice
Our International Dinner Club is doing Indian in December so I am trying out some new recipes so I can wow everyone with a fantastic new dish. We LOVE Indian around here, so it's not really a sacrifice to be testing out recipes ;)

Day 3: French Onion Soup
I'm not a big onion fan, but I figured this soup would be a good way to save some money. I was able to get 6 lbs of onions for $2. I was also able to make some homemade turkey broth after Thanksgiving when I made this turkey, so I didn't even buy the recommended beef stock...I just used my homemade turkey broth.

Day 4: Lamb Souvlaki with Pita, Hummus and Greek Salad
I found Lamb Souvlaki on manager's special 50% off, so each skewer was about $0.80 each which is pretty good for lamb. My husband is a huge lamb fan, so these are for him. The homemade hummus is for me ;)

Day 5: Smoked Salmon Bisque
I had a bit of smoked salmon left in the freezer from making homemade sushi, and 2 salmon fillets as well. With all my leftovers I really only needed a couple ingredients for this soup, but not all meal plans go as planned right? So even though I intended on making this soup, something came up and I had to throw supper together in 10 minutes. I roasted my two salmon fillets with lemon juice, salt, pepper and the fresh dill I bought for the soup at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. I served it with a cucumber salad (I had 1/2 leftover from Greek salad) and pasta noodles tossed with pesto that I had in the fridge. Easy and delicious and only 15 minutes start to finish. Although I don't know how this soup would have turned out, I still posted all the ingredients for it in the grocery list as well as the link to Elise's website at Simply Recipes.

Day 6: Pecan Chicken on Salad with Maple BBQ Dressing
One of my husband's favorite main course salads.

Day 7: German Beef Goulash over Egg Noodles
This month's International Dinner Club country was Germany. All the dishes that everyone brought were incredibly comforting and this beef stew was no exception.

Grocery List:
MEAT
2 cups leftover roast beef
8 chicken drumsticks
4 Lamb Souvlaki Skewers
3/4 lb salmon fillets
2 oz. smoked salmon
1 lb chicken breast
1/4 lb bacon
2 lbs stewing beef (beef shoulder)

PRODUCE
3 carrots
2 celery stalks
10 cloves garlic
2 cups mushrooms
1/2 cup cilantro
2 tbsp dill
2 tbsp parsley
6 lemons
8 onions
1 small cauliflower
3 tomatoes
2 red peppers
1 green pepper
1/2 cucumber
1 leek
1 head romaine lettuce
6 radishes
6 green onions
1 navel orange

BAKERY
French bread
4 Greek-Style Pitas
1 cup bread crumbs

FROZEN
1 cup peas

DAIRY
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 1/2 cups of grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
2 eggs

CANNED GOODS
Jar of Tandoori paste (like Patak's)
12 cups of beef stock
Vegetable oil
Olive oil
1/3 cup tahini
1 can of chick peas
2 cups stewed tomatoes
32 oz. clam juice
3 tbsp tomato paste

DRY GOODS
1/2 cup barley
1 cup basmati rice
1 cup chopped pecans
Egg noodles

SPICES, SEASONINGS, AND SAUCES
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tbsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp tumeric
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon of dry thyme
1/4 tsp greek seasoning
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp marjoram
2 tsp sweet Hungarian paprika