Slow Cooker 3-Packet Pot Roast



I've been browsing CrockPot 365 for awhile now and I'm amazed with what the Crock Pot Lady can do with her slow cooker. I had yet to try any of her recipes and I found a cross-rib roast in my freezer (my Dad tends to bring us meat from his freezer, so sometimes I have no idea what I have). I went looking for a pot roast recipe and came across this one. It sounded really interesting so I decided to give it a try. I'm not going to lie...I was a little concerned by the amount of seasoning that goes in to the slow cooker. I did think it would be overpowering, but I trusted the Crock Pot Lady and went for it.

Recipe from The Crock Pot Lady
__________________________________________________________________________________


Serves 6

3 lb Chuck Roast
1 Packet dry Italian dressing
1 Packet dry Ranch dressing
1 Packet Beef Gravy
1 cup Water + 2 cups Water

Optional: chopped carrots and potatoes

In a frying pan turned to high heat, heat a tbsp of oil. Place the roast in the pan and brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and place in the slow cooker.

Mix together all 3 packets in a bowl and then shake over the beef. Turn the beef over so you can get the seasoning on all sides of it. It will seem like A TON of seasoning, but don't worry...it works. Add 1 cup of water and set the slow cooker to cook on low for 8 hours. You can also add chopped carrots and potatoes in with the beef at this point as well. They really soak up the flavor of the seasoning packets.

A 1/2 an hour before you want to eat, add 2 more cups of water and turn the slow cooker up to high. Serve the beef with the broth ladled over top, but make sure you hang on to the leftovers so you can make Beef Barley Soup.

Click here for printable version of Slow Cooker 3-Packet Pot Roast

__________________________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
Yep. This recipe is a keeper. I'm generally not too enthusiastic about pot roast in the slow cooker...it's always got an "over cooked" taste and the seasoning is never very fancy. But this one was good. Really good. I planned to put carrots and potatoes in with the roast, but ran out of potatoes. The carrots soaked up the seasoning and were really tasty so I'm sure the potatoes would have been the same. This makes a ton of extra delicious broth so I made Beef Barley Soup with it the next day. The broth is amazing so of course the soup turned out amazing too. Thanks Crock Pot Lady!