Recipe for Jicama and Carrot Slaw with Radishes, Cilantro, and Cumin-Lime Vinaigrette

I was pleasantly surprised when this Jicama and Carrot Slaw stayed good in the fridge for several days!

Lately I've been buying a big jicama nearly every time I go to the store.  I slice it in sticks and use it to scoop up hummus or Grandma Denny's Vegetable Dip, or chop it up to add crunch to salad.  I'm not sure how the idea popped into my head to use it in a slaw with carrots, but I absolutely loved this combination.  I experimented a few times with the Jicama and Carrot slaw to get just what I wanted, and for this final version I used a mandoline to slice the jicama into very thin matchstick pieces, which I thought had great symmetry of cut with the carrots that I bought already shredded.  You could still make this if you had to chop the jicama by hand, but using a mandoline (like this one I got as a gift from a student) makes the job very quick.

Click to continue reading