Recipe for Spicy Cabbage Salad with Tomatoes, Radishes, and Celery (Puerto Rican Cabbage Salad)

Puerto Rico Cabbage Salad
This slightly-spicy cabbage salad got three thumbs way up when I tested the recipe!

(For Phase One Fridays I highlight Phase One recipes from the past that have been my personal favorites, and this Spicy Cabbage Salad with Tomatoes, Radishes, and Celery is one of those amazing salad combinations where the sum is so much greater than the parts.  And since we're welcoming March with a new header featuring cabbages, this salad is perfect for that reason as well.)

The minute I saw the Puerto Rican Cabbage Salad on Champaign Taste, I knew I was going to make some version of this salad, since I adore cabbage salad, and cabbage is one of The World's Healthiest Foods.  When I made the salad I loved it, and it got two thumbs up from my sister Val and brother-in-law Jon as well, and I'd say this salad is already destined to be a favorite.  After doing a little internet research about Carribean cabbage salads, I did tweak the recipe a bit, upping the crunch factor with radishes, adding some chopped celery leaves and green onions, and using just a touch of lime juice in the dressing.  With those changes I don't know how authentically Puerto Rican the recipe is, so if you're a food purist you may just want to call this "cabbage salad."  No matter what you call it, if you try this recipe I predict you'll love it just as much as I do.

Click to continue reading