Recipe for Al's Famous Hungarian Cucumber Salad

Hungarian Cucumber Salad
I was completely wowed by my friend Al's famous Hungarian Cucumber Salad!

(For Phase One Fridays I highlight Phase One recipes from the past that have been my personal favorites, and when my friend Becky from Vintage Mixer included cucumbers on her list of Seasonal Produce Guide for July, I remembered this amazing cucumber salad.  This salad is really a wow; hope you enjoy!)

My friend Al Church is not only a former restaurant critic and food writer, but he's also one of the most food-savvy people I know, so when Al offered to make his famous Hungarian Cucumber Salad with me and share it with Kalyn's Kitchen readers, I couldn't wait to try the salad.  I haven't eaten that much authentic Hungarian food, but it's definitely on my list of places to visit, and I love the combination of sweet paprika and sour cream that's used in so many dishes in that part of the world.  And of course my love for cucumbers is well-documented on the blog.  I loved everything about this salad, which was almost even better the next morning (when I gobbled up the leftovers for breakfast!)  If you have garden cucumbers right now, or even if you need to make a trip to the store for the long English cucumbers we used, you must make this right away!

Click to continue reading