Meal Plan Week 9

I'm finally posting, I'm finally posting!! I promise I have been keeping up with my own meal plans and following them (I do practice what I preach!) life has just been hectic and I don't seem to get around to posting them. But it's Sunday and I'm relaxing on the couch with some tea and a muffin, so I plan on bustin' out a couple recipe posts as well.

Remember this post I did about our monthly grocery budget not too long ago? And remember how I said we love food, and love to eat well so we don't want to sacrifice our food budget? Well we are kind of being forced into it starting next month since I will be having a baby and not teaching anymore. We've discovered I haven't worked enough hours for maternity leave, so I have been thinking and planning and reading all my favorite frugal blogs to come up with ideas of slashing our budget without sacrificing lovely suppers with my family. One great resource I have discovered is a program in town called the "Interfaith Country Kitchen" that is completely FREE and you just come and cook 2 recipes and take home all the food you make. I started going with a friend and it has been a lot of fun to cook with others and chat and meet new people, while also being able to have one meal provided for a week as well as not having to cook that evening at supper time. They also have FREE childcare! How can that be any better? Because I tried the program last week, I included the recipe as the first day of my meal plan (since the recipe was so yummy) and because I'm not sure exactly what is coming up this week.

Day 1: Madras Vegetable Curry with Basmati Rice
My first Interfaith Cooking experience and I came home with this delicious meal for my family and a great frugal recipe to share with you!

Day 2: Vietnamese Crispy Chow Mein with Beef Stir-Fry
I have only ordered this dish a couple times at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant but every time I do I LOVE it. I was so happy to have come across this recipe to make it at home.

Day 3: Taco’s with Homemade Guacamole and Refried Beans
My hubby's request and I obliged. Making taco's with all the fixin's from scratch is a lot of work, but SOOOO yummy. I always make my hubby help though ;)

Day 4: Slow Cooker Honey-Mustard Lime Chicken, Basmati Rice and Broccoli
A new recipe for my busy work day.

Day 5: Crunchy Oven-Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes and Carrots
Mmm...I've been craving this chicken since I last made it.

Day 6: Turkey and Spinach Cobbler and Corn
I ended up throwing away most of my buttermilk the last time I made Crunchy Oven-Fried Chicken so I was smart enough to plan another meal that uses buttermilk. I'll also be using up a bunch of turkey leftovers from Thanksgiving that I still have in my freezer.



Grocery List:


MEAT
1 lb beef steak (Inside Round Steak is fine)
1 lb ground beef
16 chicken legs
2 cups leftover chicken or turkey

PRODUCE
6 baby bok choy
2 red peppers
1 1/2 onion
7 carrots
1 cup mushrooms
11 cloves garlic
Romaine Lettuce
1 tomato
2 avocado's
Head of broccoli
3 cups of cauliflower
1 potato
Ginger root
1 green onion
4 turnips


DAIRY
2 bundles of fresh chow mein egg noodles (this one is hard to categorize since I found it in the fresh deli section with the other fresh Asian things)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or 1 1/2 cup milk with 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice)
1 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup sour cream
3 eggs
1/4 cup butter
2 tbsp margarine


FROZEN
1 10oz. pkg frozen spinach
2 cups frozen corn


DRY GOODS
Hard or soft taco shells
2 cups basmati rice
2 cups cornflakes
1 3/4 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp corn starch
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp brown sugar


CANNED GOODS
1 can coconut milk
2 tbsp Madras Curry Paste (Patak's is great)
1 can chick peas


SPICES, SEASONINGS & SAUCES
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
2 tsp black pepper
1 3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 pkg taco seasoning
4 tbsp lime juice
1/2 cup honey mustard (or 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup Dijon mustard)
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
Pinch of nutmeg


For more ideas for meal plans, check my Complete List of Meal Plans or check out OrgJunkie's Meal Plan Monday links.