Turkey & Spinach Cobbler

You know when you try out a recipe and you have high expectations for it? And then after all the hard work and labor you put into making it, you take one bite and all your expectations fall to the floor? That's kind of how this recipe was for me. It wasn't bad per se, and it definitely wasn't inedible, it just wasn't...good. I thought this would be a great recipe for using up leftover chicken or turkey (I used my Thanksgiving turkey that was in the freezer) and I expected warm, creamy, comforting chicken stew with crunchy buttermilk biscuits on top. It didn't quite turn out that way.

*Recipe from TGirl @ Recipezaar
___________________________________________________

Serves about 6



Filling:
2 cups turkey or chicken, cooked and shredded
1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, drained and chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp dried or fresh thyme

Biscuit Topping:
1 2/3 cups flour, all purpose
1/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup buttermilk (or 3/4 cup milk mixed with 3/4 tbsp lemon juice - let sit for 5 minutes)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a bowl, combine the chicken or turkey, red pepper, spinach, sour cream, egg, salt, pepper, garlic and thyme. Grease a casserole dish and dump the filling into it.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, butter, buttermilk, baking powder and salt to create a biscuit dough. Drop spoonfuls of dough on top of the chicken/spinach mixture until all the dough is gone and the top is covered. Place in hot oven for 40 minutes. Check the cobbler and if the biscuits are nice and golden brown you can take it out and serve it. If they aren't brown yet, brush the tops of the biscuits with milk and place it back in the oven for about 5 minutes or until browned.

_______________________________________

THE RESULTS?

I didn't like it all that much. I was expecting the filling to be creamier and to have more flavor. The biscuit topping took FOREVER to get brown (about 50 minutes) and it still could have been more browned. It was better if it was crunchy. I rated this recipe about a 5, but my hubby said it was good and he gave it about a 7.5 rating. My toddler ate up a lot of this which makes me very happy....so even if I didn't like it, I guess I still pleased my family's palates. I'm just not looking forward to the leftovers today ;)