Refried Beans


My only thoughts about refried beans used to be that they tasted like dog food....not very appetizing. If they didn't taste like dog food, they sure were bland and I really didn't get the big fuss over them. Until my Mother in Law who is a full-time missionary in Guatemala showed me how to make homemade refried beans. I was converted!

Homemade refried beans have so much delicious flavor. My husband who is a big canivorous meat fan, even told me that I could replace the beef in his taco's for these refried beans....WHA?!?! Okay, I guess they ARE pretty good.


Recipe adapted from Virginia Birss
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Makes about 1 1/2 cups


1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup water
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp taco seasoning (homemade or store-bought)
Salt to taste
3 slices of bacon (optional)

In a bow, dump in the kidney beans and begin to mash with a potato masher. This is where I add the water to get them mashed a little better. It's okay if they start to look soupy because the liquid will cook out. Add the garlic, taco seasoning and a good pinch of salt to the bowl and continue mashing.

If you are using bacon (and it's just as good if you don't), then chop up into small bits and add to frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry them until almost crispy. Drain the fat except for about 1 tsp. If you aren't using bacon, use 1 tsp oil. Dump the mashed, seasoned beans into the pan with the bacon and let cook for about 3 minutes or so stirring often. You will see the beans really start to thicken up. Taste them to see if you need more salt or other seasonings. When they are a thick consistency like refried beans should be, remove from heat, and scoop into a bowl.

Serve warm or at room temperature as a fixin' for taco's, quesadilla's and nacho's. You could also use as a filling for taco's, burrito's or enchilada's. Or just grab a bag of tortilla's and some salsa and start dipping away as a delicious snack or appetizer.

Click here for printable version of Refried Beans

_____________________________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
I used to complain when my husband would ask me to make these in addition to all the other fixin's for our tacos....now I can't do without. Our taco's just wouldn't be the same. These are so yummy, inexpensive to make, and totally easy.