New Year's Resolutions

As we gear up to say goodbye to 2008 and ring in 2009, I'm sure the thought of New Year's Resolutions is going through people's minds. A fresh new year, with a fresh new start.

Who's making New Year's Resolutions this year? Who actually sticks to them?

Around here, we don't make resolutions, we make a list of goals for the upcoming year. We sit down and think about concrete things that we can work towards and then post it up somewhere so we can be reminded of it. Instead of the New Year's Resolution "I will lose weight this year", on our list of goals we would put stuff like "Cook at least 3 healthy meals per week" and "Go for a walk or to the gym at least 3 times a week". We try to make it attainable things that we can actually see progress in. This helps us to see if we actually reached our goals.

Since I am all about meal planning and I think everyone should be doing it, I'm going to do a series of posts on "Meal Planning Goals" starting January 1st, 2009. I want to help you with your meal plans and I want to help you set some goals for yourself. I have some great stuff lined up:

January 1st - Trimming the Grocery Budget
It seems we are all a little more conscious of what we are spending these days, so if you are finding that you too are feeling penny-pinched in this area hopefully you can find some useful tips.

January 2nd - Eating More Organic Food
Since I know jack squat about this subject, my lovely friend Vanessa wrote a very thorough and awesome post about why we should consider eating organic food, how to incorporate it into our budget and meal plans, and lots of great links and websites.

January 3rd - Eating Healthier
We could all be eating a little healthier - less fats, less red meats, more veggies and fruit, more whole grains. I think this one will be my 2009 goal...I'll need to work off some of this baby weight anyways ;)

January 4th - Trying New Things
If you are stuck in the rut of the same recycled recipes week in and week out on your meal plan, this should give you some good ideas of how to get out and try something new.


And if right now you are saying to me "that's great, but I don't even meal plan", let me yell at the top of my lungs to you right now START MEAL PLANNING! If you aren't already a meal planner let me strongly suggest that this become one of your 2009 goals. Read here for:
I hope you all have a Happy New Year and a great time ringing in 2009! Hopefully I finish the last two posts before the little one makes her presence into the world....fingers crossed ;) And good luck with your Goals for 2009.