Chipotle and Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Double Cilantro (Vegetarian, can easily be made vegan)

A delightful and slightly spicy soup made with black-eyed peas.

(Today's choice for A Month of Daily Phase One Recipes is this unusual and delicious soup made from black-eyed peas, herbs, and a touch of spicy ground Chipotle pepper.  You'd have to limit yourself to a small serving of this for Phase One, since the soup is mostly beans, so enjoy it with something like Vegan Tomato Salad with Cucumbers, Avocado, Cilantro, and Lime on the side.)

Mention eating black-eyed peas, and most people think of Hopping John, the southern U.S. dish that combines black-eyed peas, ham, and collard greens. If I hadn't made Hopping John Soup a few years ago, and realized how much I like the taste of black-eyed peas, I might not have tried making this soup. That would have been just sad, because I absolutely loved this recipe, (which I did change a tiny bit, mostly to indulge my love for extra lime and cilantro.)

Click to continue reading