Homemade Gluten-Free Flour Blend

Homemade Gluten-Free Flour Blend... This past weekend I had invited some friends over for dinner. Due to a celiac condition for a couple of the guests, I needed to make the dinner completely gluten-free. There was also an intolerence to dairy products, which added to the challenge. However, I was glad I could use a limited amount of butter. Really glad for that:). Needless to say, the dinner menu took some planning... 

I started out planning my menu and quickly realized the dessert part would be the most challenging... I wanted to stay away from making a chocolate based dessert, and wanted to incorporate the fall produce. But before I could even start on the dessert, I knew I needed to think about the flour I'd be using. 

Making my own GF flour blend was something I have been wanting to make for a while.... however, I really wanted to make a blend using just minimal ingredients. Even though I had lots of different flours and starches I could use, my fridge was stocked, I decided to go the minimalist route. And I just loved the result! I only made 2 recipes using this flour blend, but the two I did make (will be sharing them soon), were wonderful! So,  I thought I would share the recipe... and file it in my recipe index for future reference. Hope you enjoy...   

Note: I don't use xanthan gum, but if you like, you can add  1 tsp xanthan gum to the flour mixture. I like to use other alternatives, such as psyllium husks. The role of xanthan gum is to keep things together... as would gluten. I skip it though, and sometimes  use an egg, chia seed gel, flax seeed gel or psyllium husks to achieve the same results as xanthan gum. At times, I just skip  any form of "thickener" altogether. I'm not a gluten-free expert, so if you know something else that acts as a binder, then use what works for you.

You will need:  adapted from Land o LakesFeel free to sift the flour mix before using in any recipe...

2 cups brown rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch

Directions:   
1.  Measure out all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to combine well. 

Note: Since I like my flour to be as fine as possible, I run it through my Vitamix, in batches and blend on high for 30 seconds to a minute.  This step is optional... 

2. Store flour mix in a sealed container (I like to place it in the fridge or freezer) using in gluten-free baking recipes.