Carla's Not Calorie Conscious But Delicious Mashed Potatoes


Ok you would never make these for everyday cooking…but the next time you host Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter supper (or go somewhere for a potluck) give them a try. Not easy on the thighs, but absolutely-frickin' delicious! Some of the best mashed potatoes I have ever had. No gravy required on these babies.

Recipe by Carla Ens
__________________________________________________________

Serves 8-10

5 lbs potatoes
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
¼ cup butter
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1/3 cup milk (or more)
1/3 package of Knorr Leak Soup Mix (I know…weird ingredient, but it makes them so flavorful)
3-4 green onions, chopped

Peel and boil the potatoes until they are nice and soft when you stick a fork in them (I never peel my potatoes. It's time consuming and I'm lazy, and there are a ton of nutrients in the skin. I don't mind a few potato skins in my mashed potatoes though) Drain the potatoes and add the cream cheese, sour cream, butter, onion powder, salt, pepper, milk, soup mix and most of the green onions, reserving a handful as a garnish. Mash everything together....I like to use my electric beaters to whip them and make them extra creamy. They turn out REALLY thick, so it’s up to you if you want to add more milk to thin them out. Place in a casserole dish and bake at 350⁰ for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the reserved handful of green onions over the top.


*Tip: These can be made up until they are put in the oven to bake, and instead cooled and put in the freezer. Because of the cream cheese and sour cream, these freeze really well. To reheat, just pull out of the freezer, allow to thaw and bake at 350 degrees until warmed all the way through (probably 30-45 minutes).

Click here for printable version of Carla's Not Calorie Conscious but Delicious Mashed Potatoes
____________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
I always LOVE these potatoes. They are a hit with my family, and I like that they can be prepared in advance. For a hectic holiday meal you can prepare them in the morning or the night before, store them in the casserole dish and then bake just before serving.