Recipe for Southwestern Quinoa Salad with Black Beans, Red Bell Pepper, and Cilantro

Southwestern Quinoa Salad with Black Beans, Red Bell Pepper, and Cilantro
Luckily this Southwestern Quinoa Salad is loaded with healthful ingredients, because it was hard to stop eating it!

Lots of people are becoming fond of the South American seed product called quinoa (keen-wah).  I knew quinoa had become mainstream when I noticed you could buy a giant bag of it at Costco, and although I resisted for a week or two, eventually I bought one of those huge bags and stored it in the freezer.  I've made a lot of tasty things with my big bag of quinoa, but this quinoa salad with Southwestern flavors in the dressing may be my favorite quinoa dish yet.  Besides the cumin-lime-chile flavors in the dressing, I loved this because the crunch of the red pepper, the softness of the beans, and the slight chewiness of the quinoa was such a nice combination of textures.  The salad stayed good in the fridge for days, so it would be perfect to make on the weekend and take for lunch during the week.  And if you haven't tried quinoa yet, this may be the recipe that will turn you into a quinoa fan.

Click to continue reading