Recipe for Baked Whole Wheat Spaghetti Casserole with Turkey Italian Sausage and Mozzarella

Baked Whole Wheat Spaghetti Casserole with Turkey Italian Sausage
My lighter version of Baked Whole Wheat Spaghetti Casserole with Turkey Italian Sausage and Mozzarella.

Even when you're committed to healthy eating, once in a while you want something that's pure comfort food, so when I saw the Baked Spaghetti on Budget Bytes, I decided to try creating a South Beach Diet friendly version of this classic recipe.  My recipe uses whole wheat spaghetti, with less spaghetti in proportion to the other ingredients.  I use low-fat Turkey Italian sausage, which still has plenty of flavor. and a pasta sauce with the least amount of sugar I can find.  And I use low-fat cottage cheese and mozzarella, which allows the casserole to have enough cheese to make it really good.  Jake and I tested this recipe twice to get it just right, and we preferred it with Sweet Turkey Italian Sausage, but you can use the hot sausage if you'd like a bit more spice.   Even with all my adjustments, this is probably still a "once in a while treat" if you're actively losing weight, but on a night when you need some comfort food, this will really seem like a treat. 

Click to continue reading